But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this
all-surpassing power is from God and
not from us. (2 Corinthians 4:7)

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's already the 3rd week of my preceptorship. Truthfully, these 3 weeks in the inpatient wards really have taught me a great deal of things. From the variety of diseases, to the different types of patients, and the mechanisms and choices of so many drugs... I am overwhelmed. However, i do enjoy the challenges and the things i am learning each day.

I have spent a few days in the geriatric ward and suddenly i remembered my grandma.
I saw a lot of old, frail, sick people. Nobody's taking care of them.
I saw old people with schizophrenia.
I like being a clinical pharmacist because i can interact with other people.
But i realized that sometimes interacting with people who cannot respond to you, is different.

I also went to neurological ward.
Saw patients with Parkinson disease.
Now the antipsychotic drugs i learnt before seem more real and applicable.

Went to the cardiovascular ward.
Suddenly, i thought of my dad, cos i was in the High Dependency unit ward.
My dad was in ICU due to heart problems 2 years back.
I saw similar drugs, different drugs, many many drugs for heart problems, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes.

Hopefully my case presentation this thursday will turn out fine.
I know the pharmacists gonna ask me a lot of questions, kinda scared.
I was choosing between my viral hepatitis, mental illness, and hypertensive patients for presentation. In the end i chose the patient with altered mental state because we've not been taught the pharmacotherapy for this group of patient, so it'll make me to research on my own. Hee, hopefully it'll be okay.

No comments: