But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this
all-surpassing power is from God and
not from us. (2 Corinthians 4:7)

Friday, February 27, 2009

Choices

A whole week of hassles and happenings. Where should I begin?

Went for pre-registration pharmacist fair on tuesday. Sat through all the talks and slowly thinking where should I end up at. In my mind, TTSH and AH were top choices for me, followed by NUH, KK and SGH was in my pending list. As the time drew near, I submitted my applications to all institutions except SGH.

In the end, i saw Mindy filling up the SGH application forms prior to 6pm, the time. And then I was thinking.. hm.. mindy is going there too? If she wanna survive there, maybe i can go there and survive with her together yea? You know, SGH is a tough place. Tougher that your mind and brain and heart can imagine. But it is also known for being good. A good learning place with enormous exposure. And yea, my SGH application was in at 6pm, together with Mindy's.

I am very thankful. All the interviews scheduled to me were one of the earliest slots. I couldn't ask for more. 8am at AH, 930am at KK, 1pm at SGH, 2.40pm at NUH. And the next day, TTSH AT 845 am. One of the earliest to finish all interviews i bet :) Nonetheless, I didn't put my time to good use because I was thinking where I should go for my pre-reg training the whole while.

AH called me 3 hours after interview to offer me. I knew it will come, because the panel of interviewers liked me. Honestly, despite being a small hospital, I kinda like AH. Has some sense of humanity radiated from it I feel. Haha... emotions sia.

SGH interview was horrible. I didn't care much, because I've decided not to go there no matter what. Coincidentally, I was at NCC for FYP and i thought maybe i should just walk across to SGH for interview. But the interviewers were quite harsh. Scenario questions... And comments like ' you actually got A+ for pathology and other more medical modules, but why only a B+ for pharmacokinetics and drug disposition? This is what pharmacist should muster you know?'

Faints. I smiled while they smirked.

' What do you see yourself as 3 years down the road, and 6 years down the road?"

"3 years.. i might just be a pharmacist doing a normal, most general tasks of dispensing, pick packing, reviewing medical records etc.'

'You mean you just want to do IMR review, normal stuff like pick packing after 3 years??' they were shocked and at brink of laughing.

'Why not?' I said

And they were shocked with my answer. Disappointed? Don't really matter. This is the most basic thing a pharmacist should do i feel. 3 years... i want to have a feel of everything in 3 years before i decide my specializations later on. I think it is fine with me eh. haha.

The session eneded within 10 mins. I guess we both know that we're not meant for each other.

Interview with NUH was a happy one.
I'm glad they liked me. I started to have affinity to NUH then.

TTSH... not bad. But surprisingly, despite it being my first choice, I didn't feel any sense or special feeling upon entering the building. I questioned myself why.

In the end, NUH, SGH, TTSH and AH offered me.
Really to my amazement.

And I really have a hard time choosing the right one.

But I'm sure in the end, my choice sent shocks signals to everybody, including my buddies.
Maybe it's because of the pharmacy manager who called me three times.
Maybe it's because it's a sense of relevance I felt upon entering that place.

I know it'll be fine wherever I go, as long as God is my constant denominator.
Don't have to be big places to shine.
As long as there's a need for me, I will be able to be happy I guess.

Yep, it's AH :)

3 comments:

Zhiyuan said...

Every place is an opportunity to be explored. With the right attitude, I'm sure you gain alot from it.. You will Excel.. =)

Josiah Tay said...

hey i liked ur response in the SGH interview...it is pretty genuine!=) and it amazed me more when they offer u a place as well after that interview.
glad that u have picked ur choice...for the manager to call u three times, i guess they are quite sincere to want u to work w them... i think i will pick AH too...haha =)
happy for u, my sister =)
another chapter of ur life is gonna start soon, before that have FUN =)

- said...

Hey:)

Congrats on the offer:) so I am expecting a treat when I visit sg the next time? :):)