But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this
all-surpassing power is from God and
not from us. (2 Corinthians 4:7)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Contentment

I think I’ve NEVER taken so many flights in such a short time span. During my 20-days Australia trip, I took 4 internal flights and 2 international flights, at least. How I wish I can witness someone needing to give birth while on plane but it never happened. I have to leave on a jet plane in 4 hours and sleeping at this time is not a good idea because I will not get a REM sleep.

My niece is coming up this August, and I’ve been thinking what English name I should give her. (I have quite a large autonomy in this area hahaha!)

I like the name Paul. But it’s not for girl. Maybe I’ll name my nephew Paul in I have one. Yes, Paul is one of my favourite characters in the bible.

Not sure if you’re as silly as me, but have you ever wondered why Paul always liked to express joy and give thanks for every single thing that happened to him? He seemed to be able to translate every adverse situation as some thing good. More than that, he actually internalized the ‘good thing’. The whole book of Philippians is to tell believers that God knows our needs and promises to provide for them. We are to trust him with an attitude of thanksgiving and find contentment in what we are given.

Bible always says ‘ask God for everything you need Phil 4:6’.

But do you have times when the one thing you want is the one thing you never get? You’re not being demanding, and you think that you really ask according to God’s words – and all you want is an open door or an extra day or an answered prayer – for which you will be thankful.

But no answer.

Have you ever questioned yourself – what if God says no?

What if the request is delayed or even denied??

What if God says no, and says ‘my grace is sufficient for you’.

Another question – Will you be contented?

Contentment. That’s the word. Heart of being at peace even if God gave you nothing more than he already has. You plead him to keep your child alive, your business afloat, your cancer cells die away on its own – what if God says – My grace is sufficient for you. Will you be contented?

If you are contented, can you tell me why?

And one very important question - Is God still a good God when He says no?

No comments: