But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this
all-surpassing power is from God and
not from us. (2 Corinthians 4:7)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hahndorf

There's a very nice town on Adelaide Hills and this place is called Hahndorf. It's a German town because these Europeans were amongst the first people who settled in Adelaide due to Christian prosecution in their home country. In fact, driving up hills is one of the popular activities of the locals here because of the fresher and cooler air on Adelaide Hills, as well as the unique German atmosphere surrounding them.

Hahndorf is a must go if you decide to drive to Adelaide Hills. It retained the rich heritage of German settlement, perfect sceneries, renown food and pastries, as well as Lutheran churches that very much reflect the German culture.



Oh, forget to tell you, Hahndorf is the name of the captain of the first ship landing on this area in 1880s.. 'Lest we forget...' You'll see this quite often in Adelaide, as well as many monument hills/ areas in Australia.


The garden in Hahndorf.

Coincidentally, it's South Australia History week so I get a chance to visit the art gallery in the heritage museum. It exhibits the historic paintings from the the 1800s and suddenly I find myself immersing it such a refined and classy activity... it's really quite enjoyable to go through the paintings :) Not many paintings were displayed, maybe all in all, there were 50 plus paintings but they were just so treasurable for the rich history behind them, as well as the time they were painted.





As I've mentioned earlier, Lutheran Churches are common in Hahndorf and if you wonder how people in the past held their services, it's worth taking a look at the following pictures:





The bench, the pulpit message, the piano for hymns.


The daily routine - A church centered living.



Let's take a closer look at the piano yea :)


You can't come to Hahndorf and not eat their famour Apple Strudel :) Food in OZ is expensive but I personally feel that it's worth trying because they really make good pastries, cakes, and wonderful cuisines. The lonely planet says I must eat the Apple Strudel here and I did... yeaps, fabulous!


The German Cake Shop


The Apple Strudels!




Yummy :)


The Lutheran church where I saw this:


I took a lot of photos and if possible, I want to make a scrapbook and put every snapshots in it. Wonder if it is possible, like that I'll have 5 albums and I have shortlisted 500 photos -_- will burn a hole in my wallet I guess. Need to filter!!!

Anyway, I have some nice photos to share again!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Hahndorf
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


Last, but not least, I need to say a big thank you to this fella:

No comments: